So I mentioned in my post last night that I totally love the Hostess with the Mostess web site and blog. Well, while I was parusing the blog this afternoon, I came across this awesome idea for a centerpiece or gift. Now, the original post was for a Thanksgiving centerpiece, but I figure you can be as creative as you want! I'd love to make one for both Valentines Day and St. Patrick's Day. Another fun way to use these are at wedding receptions. Seriously, the possibilites are endless - one of the reasons I love it!
Are you wondering how you make it? Here you go!
What you will need:
Rectangular vase or planter
Green floral foam (approx. 1.5 brick)
Black river rocks
White lollipop sticks
Artificial flower leaves (orchids, daisies, etc.) or other greenery
Satin ribbon (1.5 - 2" wide)
Hot glue gun
Tape and/or craft glue gun
How to assemble:
- Fill the vase with floral foam - trimming the foam as necessary to fit. **Make sure to leave at least 1" of space between the top of the foam and the rim of the face.
- Cover the foam with the river rocks.
- Insert the artificial flower or greenery leaves at an angle into the foam on one side of the vase and place more river rocks or other decorations around it. (**Idea: pink and red foam hearts for Valentine's Day; Shamrock's/Four-leaf clovers for St. Patrick's Day)
- Embellish the vase with a band of satin ribbon.
- Using the chipboard letter and craft or hot glue gun, add the word you'd like to the ribbon on the front side of the vase (example, the "thanks" on the ribbon of this example shown in photo above).
- Using a hot glue gun, secure each letter of the other word you're including in your centerpiece onto its own lollipop stick (like the "give" in the photo example). Let the glue dry then insert the sticks through the rock layer into the floral foam.