OMG! I saw these cakes and absolutely love them! I think one of the main reasons I love them is because they would be so perfect for a ladybug themed party - which I would love to throw someday for a little girl's birthday. Martha also shows you a way to make these into butterfly cupcakes, too! Uh... too cute, right?!
Anyway, Martha gives you all the details you need to know to make these adorable bug-themed cupcakes.
To make these yummy, adorable cupcakes you will need:
- Cupcake liners
- 5 small bowls
- 5 tints of food coloring (or the colors that match your party theme... ahem, red and black for a
lady bug theme!)
- Serrated knife
- Small offset spatula
- Licorice strings
- Pastry bags, couplers and round tips
Prepare your cupcakes and your icing. Martha offers up a recipe for a one-bowl chocolate cake, Swiss Meringue Buttercream icing or Simple Sugar icing. Divide icing into 5 separate bowls and tint each bowl a different color.
1. Using your serrated knife, cut the domed top of the cupcake off, making sure it's even. Cut that top part in half.
2. Use your spatula to cover the flat top cupcake with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of your colored frosting.
3. Before frosting is dry, gently press the domed cupcake halves on top (with the flat part facing down), positioning it so one of the ends touch each other to represent the wings of the bug.
** To make the butterfly wings, attach pieces with the cut side up and the rounded edges touching each other in the center (the domed shape will create angled wings).
4. Chill cupcakes until the frosting is firm and the "wings" are secure. About 30 minutes.
While the cupcakes are chilling, you can create the heads of your cute bugs.
5. Cut the licorice strings on a diagonal into 1 1/2 inch lengths. Use a toothpick to poke holes into the gumdrop to create the antennae. Insert the pointed edge of the licorice into the holes.
6. Use extra frosting to use as "glue" to secure the heads onto the cupcake bodies.
7. Decorate wings and bodies as you wish. Frost wings with color of your choice then pipe spots, stripes or any other cute ideas you may have!
I just love these! Seriously, how cute would they be for a Ladybug themed party, a Garden-themed party or a Butterfly-themed party? Even a baby shower! I just can't get enough. Hopefully I'll have a reason to make these soon! :)
To see other cute little Spring recipes from Martha, click here.