Friday, August 12, 2011

Featured Vendor: Lauren B Photography

As we mentioned last week, we're trying to get back into the swing of Featured Vendor posts.  If you checked out our Wedding Wednesday feature this week, then you have already seen some work from this weeks vendor - Lauren B. Photography.

Read on to learn more about lauren b. photography from lead photographer, Laurie Falk, and to see some of her favorite images from past clients:

"Natural. Unexpected. Artfully edgy.  Lauren B. Photography specializes in wedding, events and theatre, Laurie and the team of lauren b. photography are in the fourth year of doing what they love.  From kiss to cake, they capture each moment as it unfolds, creating a stunning narrative that expresses your story.

They employ a variety of approaches, using an artful, relaxed style when observing the world and bringing out its authentic beauty in images."

~* ~* ~*

How did you get started in photography?
I fell in love with it in the high school darkroom and it's been a part of me ever since.  In college, I took classes, did independent studies, and worked for the on-campus photographer.  After graduation, I met the wedding industry and it's grown from there.

When did you realize you could turn your passion into a profitable business?  When was lauren b. photography founded?
lauren b. photography was started in 2007.  I've since and will forever continue to learn about owning and running a business.  I realized when working for a wedding photographer that this was a viable option, but it's a constant learning and growing process, and educators in the field have been a blessing.

What is your favorite event to photograph?
Hmmm... this is a tough one because it's the variety that I love most.  Couple sessions are pretty high up there - Merry'd and Boudoir in particular.  It's such a treat to bring out someone's beauty and uniqueness and I love sharing that experience with couples and clients.

What inspires your work?
Every day things: people watching, movies, books, seminars and workshops, and I'm sure many other things I'm not even aware of.

What do you love most about your job?
Getting that amazing image.  And then showing it to the client.  That's what makes the long days, computer hours and hard work worth it.  I like working with people in a creative way and being able to provide them with vision and art that blends both of our styles.

What is one thing you wish every client knew/did that would make your job easier in assisting them?
"How Much?" is not the most important question.  It's the one clients start with because they've likely never hired a photographer before and don't know what else to ask {It's what I would ask a florist or reception venue without knowing otherwise}.  What is important?  The quality of work, the longevity of their album {discs degrade, archival albums do not}, the photographers likability and temperament, and if your styles are a good fit.

What is your ultimate goal for your business or professional life?
My ultimate goal is to do weddings, destination weddings and theater photography all over.  Basically keep doing what I'm doing but in a more intentional and adventurous capacity.  And to continue learning and growing in an ever-changing industry.

If you weren't a photographer, what would your dream job be?
A photographers wife.  Just kidding.  Hmm, that's tough because in school I always knew what I didn't want to be, but not what I did - until I learned photography could be a career and not just a hobby.  I suppose a therapist or psychologist would be the answer.

What advice and/or tips would you give to people looking to start their own business adventure?  What did you find helpful when starting out?  What were the most difficult things to overcome?
I recommend getting educated and learning as much as possible.  Have a plan before jumping and talk to people who've done it before.  I was not a business-savvy person starting a business, so I puttered along for a while.  I think education and mentorship/internships are key because they'd solve/prevent a lot of other problems: smart marketing, customer service, necessary vs. frivolous equipment, etc.


For Fun:
What are five things you simply can't live without?
My family, my boyfriend, my best gal pals, the sun, desserts {I could have picked 5 desserts, but this covers more bases} :)

What is your favorite color scheme at the moment?
Bright yellow, green and white {at the moment}

What is your favorite time of year to photograph?
Autumn, and late summer nights

What trends are you seeing in the photography industry lately?
I think there's a return to quality over quantity - better images vs. more, artful vs. over-the-top, etc.






















If you are interested in checking out more work by lauren b. photography, head over to their blog or 'like' them on Facebook.


Thanks, Laurie, for letting us interview you and learn more about lauren b. photography - we enjoyed getting to know more about a great Minneapolis-based photography company!



If you or someone you know is interested in being a Featured Vendor on the Cammi Lee Events blog, contact us today!  

No comments:

Post a Comment