There are a couple of different ways you can put this Gingerbread Family kit together - a) purchase the gingerbread men from your local supermarket, or b) make the gingerbread men by scratch.
If you are interested in making your own gingerbread men, here is the recipe found on the Family Fun site:
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup molasses
1. In a large bowl, mix flour, cinnamon, ginger and baking soda. In a separate bowl, cream butter and brown sugar with electric mixer. Add eggs in one at a time, then mix in molasses. Slowly add in the dry ingredients, beating after each addition (the dough will become stiff). Divide dough in half, shape into disks and wrap in plastic. Chill for 1 to 2 hours until dough is firm enough to roll.
2. Heat over to 350 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one piece of dough to a 1/8- or 1/4-inch thickness. Use a 5-inch gingerbread man cookie cutter to cut the dough and use a spatula to transfer the gingerbread people to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely. Repeat until remainder of dough is complete.
To assemble kit, line a plastic container with tissue paper and add 4-5 undecorated cookies. Also include white decorators frosting, M&M minis, Cinnamon Red Hots and shoe string licorice in with the cookies. Or add whatever ingredients you like to use when decorating your cookies! When everything is packaged together, add a cute little tag and bow and get ready to deliver the family their gingerbread kit!
If you are looking for other quick and fun ideas for Christmas gifts to make with your kids, head over to the Disney's Family Fun site now!